Saturday, April 17, 2004

Surrealist compliments and the cool-ness of making new friends

"You have the vocabulary of an aspidistra in panic."
hmm.. sounds like an insult to me. Aspidistra don't have a vocabulary... This compliment comes to you via The Surrealist Compliment Generator, brought to my attention by The Warrior Librarian, a repository of strange and interesting things.

It's been a long time since I last made a friend. I've made lots of aquaintances over time, but friends are different. Friends are people I can feel a rapport with; they're the ones I feel I can just call up, the one's I can bitch to and know it won't go any further. They're the people I think connect with me, to use a new-agey, touchy-feely term.

So I am pleased to announce I have a new friend. (I still have my old friends, but I somehow got out of the habit of making new ones when I stopped being single, well-paid and free most evenings). My new friend works at the university library - but I like her even before she became my very useful new friend. She's one of the few Asian students in my class who isn't as quiet as a mouse. Needless to say, she's intelligent (I don't have time for stupid people). Also, I figured that anyone who wants to learn Italian must have something going for them.

No comments: