Monday, April 19, 2004

Bus-driving solo

This afternoon I went on my very first solo bus drive. That probably doesn't sound like a huge deal, but I was a bit nervous. Perhaps it's because my mother didn't eat enough chocolate when I was just a foetus in her belly - I'm just a worrier. I've only had my HV licence for about 6 weeks, and since then I'd always had a passenger to make sure I was going the right way at the very least.

Today's Mobile Library run went off into some fairly rural areas (cows and horses, no sheep or barns), places I've only ever been in once, two weeks ago. I was mostly worried about getting lost, actually. I'm an ex-traveller who's been lost all over the world - even Kuta, Bali which is a very small part of a very small Indonesian island.

As it turned out, I worried for nothing. I did go slightly astray at my first stop (ironically, quite near the centre of town), but after that I was fine. There's bit of slightly scary narrow, winding and steep road I have to go down at the end of the day, but there wasn't enough traffic to make me feel pressured. I remember the mantra, 'This bus is bigger than those cars, I am safer than they are'. Yes, I can do this...

No comments: