Just so you know that sometimes I am quite successful in my sewing projects,here's a pair of too-skinny Pumpkin Patch jeans that I bought off TradeMe for TLM.
I inserted a long triangle of mixed denim patches down each leg and turned them into flares.
Actually the pocket topstitching is quite fetching and I might try to copy that for a future garment for myself.
In case you're interested, I did manage to improve the fit of my jeans (in the previous post). After buying and reading the Closet Case Files guide on sewing jeans I tried taking in the inseam along each leg. It seems to have worked. I'll post up a photo some time.