Monday, April 26, 2004

Not networks. Networking!

Not networks. Networking!
Last week I put my hand up when my boss asked for volunteers to attend a Library Week project meeting. The meetings would be in town, they were timed so that I would have to leave work early in order to attend, and they seemed like an excellent chance for me to network. Networking, as they say in recruitment circles, is the name of the game. Apparently 70% of all positions are never advertised. Perhaps I will get my dream job that way.

I think one thing I'm good at is getting along with people (but VCRs, photocopiers and computers hate me). So I'm finally getting around to using that ability, to get myself known amongst the people who have the power to offer me the dream job. Something like that anyway.

The other people there were: senior members of LIANZA (Library and Information Association of New Zealand something.. something..), staff from the National Library, staff from various public libraries etc. I think I was the only one there who was a mere library assistant.

We were drumming up ideas for possible themes for Library Week, which is in August. Surprisingly, two ideas which I tossed on the table for all to jeer at were really well received. Somebody told me I was in the wrong job, and should be in marketing (nah, too old and too practical). In the end, it was a toss-up between one of my ideas and that of one of the women next to me. I didn't try to push for my idea though, because I was still getting over the fact that it was even being considered.

By the end of the meeting, I'd been 'volunteered' for the job of receiving and formatting e-mailed ideas, and encouraged to stand for Regional Council. I'm not sure what it's all about, but it might look good on my CV...

But maybe it’s all just a scam to get eager newbies to do lots of unpaid work…..!

No comments: