Sunday, April 18, 2004

Nephews and Novels

My boy (MB) and I took my three-year-old nephew out this afternoon, apparently to get him used to being with people other than his parents. This is because I'm going to be an auntie again soon - my brother and his partner are expecting their second child at the end of May.

I'm curious as to what she's going to look like, partly because my nephew started out looking really Chinese and now looks kinda European. Partly because I wonder what our own kid will look like (if and when it happens). My nephew is so cool. He loves fish and other sea life, which makes a nice change from his other obsession - trains. And he so walks like a boy. MB is really good with him too, which brings out all the soppy he'll-make-such-a-good-daddy feelings.

But don't worry, I'm not kiddie-enthralled to the exclusion of all else...

I'm enjoying Garth Nix's 'Lirael' heaps, more so than 'Sabriel'. While I can't say that Nix is a master of dialogue and character development, he certainly tells a good story. Scary dead creatures, evil necromancers, nasty monsters all putting me metaphorically on the edge of my seat. And I really care about the two main characters too. So Book Two is better than Book One, and I've been told that Book Three (the last) is better than Book Two. Even better.

No comments: