Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Back to school, and deaf as a doorknob (almost)

When I arrived at my first class after the Easter break yesterday, I couldn't help but notice one thing; it felt as though, during those two weeks off, everyone else in the class had become great pals with each other except me. This is probably a load of insecure rubbish. I just had that feeling, you know? Apart from one, people whom I thought I was really friendly with didn't seem to want to talk to me. Yes, it's probably paranoia and insecurity.

I only realised yesterday that my essay (which is worth 50% of the final assessment) was actually due today - which was a bit of a shock because I had it in my head that I had until the rest of the week. So I was in a very slight panic because I still had to finish my reference list. Finishing the references was only a big deal because I hadn't kept the URLS for several of the online articles I'd cited, and I've been having problems accessing those databases again to get them. I did manage to book a database-only computer at the library, then kick someone off it at the appropriate time, then e-mail all the URL's to myself, then buy five bucks' worth of printing credit, blah blah blah....

I've been a bit deaf lately. When I got my medical check-up around the time I was going for my bus licence, I was told that my ears were about 95% full of wax. I didn't notice it much of course, because I couldn't hear what I was missing out on. So in preparation for the big syringing, I've been putting wax-dissolving drops in my left ear. (My right ear is just as bad, but it makes sense to me to do one ear at a time, to avoid having the stuff pour out as soon as I turn my head to do the other side.) As a result, all the wax in my left ear seems to have softened up just enough to fill in any gaps or crevices which had previously been left unfilled. In other words, my hearing in that ear is now much worse and I feel as though I'm bodily only half there.

No comments: