Friday, February 24, 2006

Watching the penultimate episode of Buffy Season Six

I always thought it was so sad that Jonathan had to die in Season Seven. Of the Trio, he was the only one who showed any sense of right and wrong; yet he ends up getting sacrificed to open the Hellmouth, while his killer Andrew goes on to become a watcher-in-training.

Yeah I know, lots of great characters die on the show and he's just one of them. But I felt really sorry for him - maybe because it's easy to relate to someone who was a geeky "nobody" in high school.

3 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

I think Joss kind of liked to kill the innocent now and then. I'm thinking of Tara and Joyce Summers.
I was struck by Wesley's death. Here's a guy who's done some really questionable things , unless kidnapping, stabbing and shooting people are okay, and he gets to die with some dignity and tenderness. And like Jonathan, it still seemed unfair to me.

boudica of suburbia said...

hehehehehehehe.... *remembers the movie*... that was bloody awful

xxB

Violet said...

nigel: yeah, I agree that it's totally in keeping with the Whedon way. It does help though!

juliabohemian: oh, the tv series was superior by far! But if you start watching it you may get hooked and spend the next few months catching up...

boudica: the movie wasn't bad, but the series was on a whole other plane. I remember when the movie first came out and I didn't bother to see it because it sounded so much like a one-joke movie.