Saturday, February 25, 2006

Freaky Critters

Today, in my baby-free hour, I went out to a couple of exhibitions at the local city gallery. The first was a Michael Smither retrospective. The way Smither makes landscapes look alive, yet his people look like shiny plastic figurines, is great - but I was really there to see the works of Patricia Piccinini.

Piccinini's made a name for herself creating strange creatures which are supposed to be the result of genetic engineering, like this, this and this Go on, click - it's pretty weird stuff - the last one was especially disturbing; it's a depiction of a family of creatures that look like an unfortunate cross between pigs and humans.

Supposedly these creatures have been bio-engineered to help out humankind one way or another; there were exquisite drawings of such creatures playing with babies and toddlers (but of course they can't have been drawn from life, young children simply don't keep still that long!).

I always use the fact that I'm a mother of a six-month old as an excuse for my lack of creative output, but Piccinini has a nine-month old and it hasn't stopped her from thinking up some mind-boggling life forms.

6 comments:

Desiree said...

The idea with Piccinini's creations is that the creatures are acting as surrogate parents/wombs for endangered species. But I agree, they look pretty weird.

EB said...

I found the second this startling. Pretty amazing detail in expression and creases in the skin given the materials (leather) she used in The Young Family. She's made them so life like I want to offer a blanket.

Bet Piccinini can't make Pasta with Grilled Asparagus, Broad Beans and Lemon like you do and maybe her kid is at a day centre.

Violet said...

you're too kind, eb; she probably can...

I love weird stuff.

flying kiwi said...

Freaky stuff. The pig babies are just what I imagined the baby in Alice in Wonderland must look like.

glomgold said...

Those are pretty cool looking.

Juliabohemian said...

it's probably the hormones. those things would freak me out.