Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Culinary disasters

Life as a domestic goddess-in-training hasn't been without it's failures; while my Kumara and spinach gnocchi, Deli salad, Cottage pie and Grilled asparagus with broad beans and penne pasta in creamy sauce were all big hits with the boy, some dishes were so bad we had to throw them out and eat pizza instead:

Warm lamb salad - It's a dish I love when ordered at a restaurant, but when I try to make it myself (with or without a recipe) the results are always iffy. Once or twice it's been nice, but I seem to have a real problem cooking lamb. In fact, the last time I made this, I gave myself a bad tummy.

Pork and beans - actually, I have a problem cooking pork with anything. Every time I cook pork (I haven't tried roasting it), it tastes really...I dunno...gamey.

Salmon Risotto - the recipe scored pretty highly on the easiness scale, but it's confirmed my suspician that I shouldn't bother cooking anything with tinned salmon when the fresh or smoked kind is available.

Considering my history of giving myself food poisoning though, I'm probably doing okay so far.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

does that explain the pizza dinner you were having last time I saw you?

Geekery said...

Nothing wrong with pizza, 5 or 6 times a week....

boudica of suburbia said...

lol, I know the feeling, my repetoire is pretty limited too.

With pork, its best to soak it overnight or if its just a plain joint, to boil it. I just go for gammon everytime -saves the hassle!

xxB

darth said...

i agree with boudica-i've had the best luck with pork if i brine it overnight first...and lamb..damn.

Violet said...

editter: it may well have been in anticipation of a dinner failure, yes.

onscreen: yes there is.

eb: sounds like nappy rash for grown-ups.

boudica: I've never heard of doing that. I suppose it's just not Cantonese.

darth: It may be that grilling and roasting are the only good ways to cook lamb...

glomgold said...

Lamb is pretty tough to make from what I hear. I have yet to try it b/c I feel bad about wasting food. And I'm sure it'd turn out terrible.