Thursday, February 09, 2006

I think I'm cured

For a while there I was reading nothing but parenting books. Then, when I tried to wean myself off them, I became addicted to parenting discussion boards instead.

But I've become bored with reading about other people's problems with their respective baby's sleep patterns.

The best thing I got out of reading stuff like "Help! My child wakes up every hour at night and screams!" every night, was knowing that:

a) I'm not the only one with a baby who doesn't sleep through the night and

b) there are some parents out there who are worse off.

It probably helps that, at six months old this coming Saturday, Baby seems to be settling into a routine of her own which doesn't leave me with bloodshot eyes and an inability to concentrate for more than five minutes.

Yes, Baby is turning 6 months. She's a big girl now, with her own upright car seat and her own blue and orange high chair.

She's learned how to make her hammock bounce up and down by lifting and dropping her wee bum, and she's into Baby Einstein DVDs.

She chortles when I hold her to my chest and jump up and down, and goes quiet when she hears someone sing ...Old McDonald had a farm/ee eye ee eye oh...

She likes squished up pear but makes faces when it's squished up apple.

Oh, I feel another baby photo post coming on...

5 comments:

darth said...

awwww..GREAT PIC.

and yeah, those two points are really the only thing we got from the books and boards as well-everyone has SOME issue, and a lot of them overlap with yours, and, in the end, things work out.

i think our turning point was..18 months or so..at least that is the time i started to really enjoy a good nights sleep.

Watson Woodworth said...

I have heard that boredom is a sure sing that you are getting over a situation like a breakup or an old job.
Congrats! Hooray for boredom!

Violet said...

juliabohemian: yeah I know, but it would be really nice if did it right NOW.

darth: I'm guessing that dads get less interruption from sleep than mums do...which means that mrs darth probably had to wait longer before she got a good nights sleep?

eb: ah well, that's just it. If I were peak brain cell condition, maybe my posts would sound much more intelligent!

nigel: I think so; here's to reading about something different for a change!

flying kiwi said...

And if you lend all your parenting books to my sister then you won't be able to give in to temptation.

6 months already, oh my.

Violet said...

flying kiwi: I actually own only two; the others are from the library, an almost limitless source of parenting books for the addicted...