Thursday, November 30, 2006

Getting into position

Someone from the parent's group I meet with, told me about a regular yoga class which welcomes babies and toddlers. Apparently, during the class, the kids mosey around the room, hopefully playing with the toys they brought from home or else bum-shuffling onto their mum's yoga mat just as they are attempting to Salute the Sun.

The first time I tried to make the class, it just happened to have been cancelled and I didn't find out because I'm not on the e-mailing list. The second time, we arrived so early that the whole place was still all locked up, and I couldn't be bothered hanging around for 20 minutes in the galeforce winds on the off-chance that the class hadn't been cancelled again.

Third time lucky.

There were five of us, each with one child and his or her toys, plus the instructor and his child. This made for a yoga class with an amusing difference. In the middle of all those downward-facing dog poses was the discordant banging from a piano played by someone too short to see the keys. For some, whole sequences were interrupted by requests for "boobie". I myself missed a couple of forward bends when I leaped off my mat to find a biscuit and a sippy cup of milk for The Little Madam, to stifle her "I'm hungry" moans.

TLM had a great time - she always does when there are other kids' toys to play with. Although the fun ended during our ten-minute meditation period - surprise, surprise - when she insisted on climbing aboard my supine form and using my stomach as a trampoline. Well, that wasn't when the fun ended; the fun ended when I tried to encourage her to climb off me and she accidentally caught the floor with her head.

I think I'll go back next week, with cushions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really does sound like a lot of fun. Except for the head hitting part, ha,ha..

Amanda said...

Wow Violet, you are living the dream.

At this point it seems unlikely my kid and I will get onto the doing yoga kick together. I was amused but also slightly horrified the other day when we were both slumped on the couch and she told Mickey Mouse on the tv when he was asking everyone to join in "No- me and Mummy won't help- we're too tired"...I fear she has learned all too well from me.

LK said...

What a brilliant idea. I wish I had something like that when mine were wee.

Unknown said...

The instructor wasn't Ollie, was it??

Violet said...

charlotte: but that fact that you seem to manage regular yoga already, just goes to show what a long way I still have to go...

happy and blue 2: no, that head-hitting part was definitely un-fun.

beth: you're talking two measly sessions in one whole week. Which means that 5 days out of 7 I didn't manage any exercise at all...

mtnw: I wouldn't say living the dream exactly. Not until I am toned enough to be a "hot" mum, and am able to take TLM to cafes for fluffies.

nyx: yeah, it's a great idea. I wonder why no-one thought of it earlier.

editter: why, yes!