Friday, November 03, 2006

Found nanny

The nanny hunt did not get off to a good start. The prospect I'd "interviewed" (not very well, because what experience do I have in interviewing job applicants? None.) on Wednesday turned up about 2 hours late due to problems with transport, and then told me yesterday that she didn't want the job after all.

I'd hoped to be able to make a decision by the end of the weekend, so if the second nanny applicant didn't work out I'd have to go with the in-home caregiver who lives in town (who is in fact really great, but I dread spending the next three months getting on and off buses with a squirmy baby on my back).

But I was saved. The second nanny applicant turned up on time and immediately pulled out a small bag of hand-made finger puppets, with which she had TLM charmed like a...well, like a snake charmer and a cobra.

The rapport, along with the impressive CV and the adoringly glowing letters of recommendation, was enough for me. I hired her.

However, we aren't going to be signing on the dotted lines until later today. So I hope I'm not jinxing things by announcing the news prematurely.

If all goes well, I'll be officially a working mum early next week.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

So now that it's sorted are you sure you're ready for this?

Angela said...

Isn't it nice when things work out like we want them too

Violet said...

the editter: yeah thanks for shattering my peace of mind >:-(

beth: I'm both excited about the new phase in our lives, and worried that it's all going to fall over horribly...

angela: It certainly is. Though it turns out that my boss wants me to work thru till the end of April instead of the end of February, and our new, perfect nanny can only work until school starts for the year. Which makes me wonder whether she's going to backtrack on her nanny-subsidy too <:-O

Anonymous said...

Hope this one works out. She sounds good..

Anonymous said...

It won't fall over horribly. Kudos for finding the perfect nanny. That's no small feat.

LK said...

Hope it all works out well although the finger puppets are a great sign.

Violet said...

Kristin: a good nanny must be about as valuable as a good plumber.

nyx: yes they are, and she had the good sense to bring duck puppets, which TLM especially enjoyed.

Jon said...

Did you ever see the Family Guy where Lois and Stewie are interviewing nannies and Stewie says 'I wasn't allowed to print this in the ad, but no Portugese'. That would be my only requirement ;-)

Violet said...

jon: no I didn't, but I woulda laughed at it.

But Paris' nanny in Gilmore Girls is Portuguese and she's marvellous, so Stewie doesn't know what he's missing!

Anonymous said...

So, did she sign? Tell, tell, tell!!

Violet said...

patience, cathi. All will be revealed...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the job offer and finding the perfect nanny.