Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thoughts on underwear

Happy and Blue 2 asks the question - what is your favourite invention - and my answer was self-cleaning underwear.

Which, of course, doesn't exist yet.

But then I had a memory flashback.

There was this one time, on the telly, when I saw an item about Teflon-coated underwear.

That must surely have been a sincere attempt at self-cleaning underwear. Except having a Teflon on the inside of one's knickers doesn't so much clean it, as prevent anything from sticking to it.

Is that a good thing?

Now, if one were to do a poo or a wee, the stuff is just going to slide right off - where do you think it's going to go?

Once I knew a woman, recently arrived from China, who expressed disappointment at the unavailability in New Zealand of throw-away knickers. They don't sound at all comfortable, but I bet they'd be handy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disposable underwear would be ok. I wonder if they are on a roll you wear on your belt. Then you could toss off the old and tear off a new pair..

Self cleaning underwear would be a big seller..

Ms Mac said...

I wonder why she was disappointed in the lack of disposable undies. Is it because she wore them a lot while she was in China?

Anonymous said...

Where would you throw them away? not sure that the idea of grungy used knickers in the bins in public loos is altogether "quaite naice"

I have enough trouble throwing out old undies because I'm reluctant to put them in the rubbish even if I put them through the laundry first.

perhaps I need a therapist

Anonymous said...

As for the best invention that hasn't been invented yet, how about the bin bag that detects it's full, ties itself off and walks out to the dustbin by itself.

My students would have loved that.

Unknown said...

shoelace alarms, so that you get a little bleep and a red warning light when you're down to the last three ties before they snap.

I like the sound of non-stick underwear, though i can't for the life of me think why.

Violet said...

happyandblue2: I'd imagine the disposable stuff comes in packets of 10 or something. Why would you wear them on your belt? Because you'd have to undo the belt in order to change your underwear..

ms mac: yeah I think she did use them back in China. But speculating on the circumstances of their use might be Too Much Information.

cathi: I don't see why anything thrown away into a rubbish bin has to be "quaite naice". It is rubbish, after all.

I can think of several good inventions that have yet to be invented, mostly of the self-cleaning variety.

Anonymous said...

I can't think about the Teflon-coated underwear without relating it to my frypan ... does it have a heat spot ...

Self-cleaning underwear would be nice.