Monday, November 06, 2006

Easy money

I start my job tomorrow, and the new nanny started today. The idea was for today to be a settling in day for the her and The Little Madam, but it conveniently doubled as the morning I shopped for work clothes.

The nanny arrived at 8am (but starting tomorrow she'll start at 7.30) and played with TLM for about an hour. But when TLM started showing tired signs at the usual time of 9am, the nanny offered to try putting her down for a nap. I wasn't expecting TLM to nap for anyone else, at least to start with. I'd anticipated she would have a whole morning of fun and games, and then crash when I returned home to get her down for an early afternoon nap.

So I was quite impressed when, after the nanny emerged from TLM's room, I didn't hear any cries or squeals. So I left for town.

Two hours, many clothing shops and a single purchase later (I'm sooo hard to clothe), I was home and expecting to hear the squealing and babbling of an actively playing 15-month-old. But it turned out that, after I'd left the house, TLM had spent the next half hour talking to herself and the next two hours after that sleeping. This left the nanny with 2 1/2 hours out of 4, twiddling her thumbs.

That was an easy 60 bucks to earn.



p.s. Hopefully we'll be able to push TLM's big nap further towards midday, so that I get my money's worth out of the nanny as well as blogging time when I get home from work :-)

6 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds like the nanny and TLM are pretty much sorted.Good luck with the first day back at work.

Jon said...

Does she have a medicine bag and a magic umbrella that makes her fly? Just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down.....oh, got side tracked. So, what is your new line of work? I've been out of the blogging loop until the other day, hence why I don;t know

Violet said...

mtnw: yep I think TLM has a new best friend.

beth: going back to work wasn't very painful, because I helped put together a manual for new recruits shortly before I left. So I got to re-train myself!

jon: no, but I reckon she's just as good - sings too. My job is actually the old job I had before TLM was born - gathering information resources to distribute to the branches of a non-profit people-helping organistion. Nice to have you back, btw :-)

Anonymous said...

The nanny sounds really good. If I was you I would definitely change TLM's nap time to one that suits you better,ha,ha..

Michael C said...

Looks like all is going well. Congrats!!!!

Violet said...

happyandblue2: yep, we're already working on it :-)

michael c: yeah so far. The two of them get along so well I'm starting to feel redundant.