Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Hi ho , hi ho, it's off to work I go

My first day back at work yesterday went pretty well. The Little Madam was so engrossed in the nanny's toys that she didn't even look up when I called out "Seeya after lunch!" to her. After I got in to work, I was so so busy that it wasn't until a couple of hours had passed before I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to be anxiously dialling home for a report on how things were going.

Apparently TLM and her new best friend had a great time playing with toys, reading books and going for rides up and down the hallway in her little car (well, TLM did the riding, the nanny did the pushing).

And the nanny got TLM to do a massive 2-hour nap from midday, which meant that I had a nice break when I got home.

I read somewhere that when little kids start daycare, they may not show separation anxiety until the second or third day. Well, this seems to be true of TLM and her new nanny. This morning, TLM started to fuss as soon as I put my jacket on, and the nanny's prettily coloured scarves failed to distract her when I waved goodbye and resolutely marched out the door.

But I'm confident everything's going to be fine. When I got home at midday, the nanny was full of stories about the fun time they had at the playgroup, and the little friend TLM made.

And I have to admit it's quite nice to have an excuse to wear nice clothes too - at least, the ones I can still fit into.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I do hope it continues to work - I'm sure TLM will settle into her new routine. The nanny sounds like a gem.

Watson Woodworth said...

Congratulations on yet another demographic shift!
From POSSLQ to Stay-at-home Mum to Working Mum.
Have you already put out any pictures of TLM in the workplace?

Anonymous said...

Glad this is working out so well for you. And for TLM..

Violet said...

charlotte: I really did miss my knee-high boots and my skirts :-)

cathi: I only hope I can do as well on Thursdays, when I'm at home.

nigel: what's POSSLQ? My workplace have already met TLM, and they were sent photos soon after she was born. AND, I took TLM with me to work last week for the handover with the person I've replaced.

happyandblue2: yeah me too :-)

Watson Woodworth said...

Person Other than Spouse Sharing Living Quarters.

Violet said...

Oh - but that includes platonic flatmates/housemates too. It's quite a general category y'know.