Saturday, June 12, 2004

A love affair with...stationery?

This might sound weird, but I really like those little spiral-bound, hard-back journals that you see in the stationery shops. They're about A5 size, usually have lovely designs on the covers, and the pages are lined but otherwise empty. I remember when I was a kid, I loved books like this even though there was nothing in them to read. Maybe it's the possibility of creating a great written moment that it represents. Maybe I'm just a little strange. But I know I'm not on my own, because I mentioned it once to a fellow library school student (an archivist), and he did that nodding-in-recognition thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely potential. It's never the same once they've been written in...

Anonymous said...

Definitely the potential. They're never the same once they've been written in...

Violet said...

Too right. But if you leave the page all pristine then it's a life unlived, innit?

Anonymous said...

...and the perfectionist in me says 'that's quite okay!'

Violet said...

no way Jose!
Surely it's better to give it a bash and maybe get it right, than to not even try!?!?

Anonymous said...

Give it a try, certainly, but not in the pristine loveliness of the stationery you admire...
But that's just me.