Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I call it a Chinese work ethic

I've had a cold all weekend. Its not surprising, because a) it was a long weekend, b) it was beautiful weather all weekend and c) it's coming up towards my two-week holiday.

I was in a quandary over whether to ring in sick this morning, or brave it out like the thoroughly reliable and conscientious little worker I am. I didn't want to cough and splutter over the customers. I didn't want to have to lift crates of books with a fever. But I didn't want to miss the very last (morning) class of the trimester, nor take a sick day only about three weeks after the last time I did it (although that was only a half day, and I took that time to take my mum to the doc).

Against the boy's protests, I got dressed for work and got in the car.

I rang in sick during the mid-class break, managed to contribute to the discussions without spluttering over anyone, and came straight home.

But now I feel guilty, because I've started to feel a whole lot better. This might be because I'm just quietly sitting around, mostly outside in the sun. But the fact that I feel okay now, but am taking a sick day, makes me feel a bit of a fraud. Maybe I have to make myself hoarse for tomorrow, so the workmate's will be convinced...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever had that karmic experience where you ring up ill when you're not really so bad, but then the next day wake up feeling truly awful?

Violet said...

Way too often...