Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The last week of work

I'm finishing work this Friday, and I just can't wait. I enjoy my job and all (it pays better than the library job per hour, I don't have to deal with customers and I only have to be there 20 hrs per week), but it'll be so nice to have a few weeks in which I never have to get out of bed early.

My replacement should be starting tomorrow, so I'll be busy finishing off the stuff I started and handing over everything else to her - that's if she's allowed to work that is. Apparently she wasn't able to apply for her work visa until yesterday (she was an overseas student until recently), and who knows how long it'll take to actually get one?

Yesterday I did a little painting of Winnie the Pooh. I figured that, since the night light has a Winnie the Pooh theme, I may as well stick with it. Next week, I'll do a Tigger (photos will be posted at some stage, but since they'll just be copies of what I found on the Internet, there's no rush is there?).

I'm about a quarter of the way through Lionel Shriver's We need to talk about Kevin. It's possibly not a great choice of reading material for a first time mum-to-be, because it's about this woman who doesn't like her young son - and he doesn't like her. From birth onwards, Kevin is a hell child; he refuses her milk and literally cries all day until hubby comes home. Obviously this is a worst case scenario seemingly designed to frighten the bejesus out of any woman who is nervous of her untried maternal qualities, and not necessarily something which will happen to me or anyone else. But it did make me feel a little anxious.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm, you're bound to get more dark comments on your choice of reading material in late pregancy, so I'll start: Lionel (who changed her name from Margaret-Ann at the age of 12 or something) says she was always queasy at the idea of having children and was pleased to get past the age of possibility without having had them.

Yay for Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger! And for finishing work and never having to get out of bed (what's with the "early"?)

Watson Woodworth said...

I think it's really cool that you yourself are painting your nursery. Art does run in families.

Kazzer said...

Winnie-the Pooh? The child is guaranteed to adore you if you paint such lovely things for the nursery.

Jon said...

Hey, that reminds me- Paul Winchell, the only man to ever do the voive of Tigger in the history of Winnie the Pooh cartoon, died recently at the age of 85. And, while I liked Tigger best when I was a kid, my favorite now is probably Roo- too cute!

Violet said...

Editter - I have to get out of bed if I want to watch the DVDs :-)

nigel - it's really just an excuse to put my spare canvases to work, plus something to do during my time off - and I'm too cheap to buy the art ready made!

kazzer - ....until the day I force the child to wear a Pooh costume in public...

jon: Tigger is the boy's favourite too. I trhink you're revealing your clucky side ;-)