Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tell me a story

I'm starting to realise that, if I want my short-story writing class to get off to a good start, I'm going to have to try and write one some time before it starts.

Now, I'd be the first to admit that I'm not brimming full of story ideas. Otherwise my blog posts wouldn't be mostly about me and TLM. But I don't want to write some confessional piece as a first attempt, because:

1. I won't know any of those people well enough to share personal details with and
2. they might not like me any more, if I do.

So I'm asking you, dear reader, to send me a first line. Any line, as long as it isn't "It was a dark and stormy night", because I think that one's been used before.

Now, the class isn't until July, so don't expect to see a short story from me straight away. But I might decide to post the more interesting-sounding ones...

6 comments:

Geekery said...

I woke with a gentle buzzing in my ear, not the annoying get out of bed radio alarm type of buzzing, but a euphoric soothing buzz that reminded me of last night...

Determinist said...

Give a person a fish, they'll eat for a day etc... etc..

Take a look at: Story Starter

Anonymous said...

She looked up to see the man staring at her.

Ms Mac said...

It was my partner, who spied it first; the crumpled white and blue of the plastic bag, hidden on the embankment at the train station...

Amanda said...

1. As the blind vampire circled her Mung Bean regretted that she had not thought to pack a semi automatic weapon and also that she had worn her Jimmy Choos

2. Tristram found it terribly sad that the love of his life had left him with nothing but a mysterious smile and a broken paua shell ashtray

This is fun!

Violet said...

Great lines - you guys are good! Don't expect genius, but I'll do my best.