Saturday, May 05, 2007

Songs for TLM

My singing has gotten so much better since TLM came along. Sometimes I even sing in tune (though I'm never going to be asked to jam with The Eagles).

Ode to Cheeky Monkey (TLM's chimp soft toy, sung to the tune of the Bellybutton Song on our MagIQ DVD)

Cheeky Monkey, Cheeky Monkey,
When you wash him, he's not funky.
He's your favourite so-oft toy...
Oh Boy!

Swing Low, Sweet TLM-mobile
Swing low, sweet TLM-mobile
Comin' for to carry me home.
Swing low, sweet TLM-mobile
Comin' for to carry me home.

I looked over ***town, and what did I see
Comin' for to carry me home.
Lions and tigers and chimpanzees*
Comin' for to carry me home.

(*we live near the zoo. There are 3 more verses but they don't get any better)

It's a long way without a buggy (Sung to It's a long way to Tipperary)
It's a long way without a buggy.
It's a long way to home.
It's a long way without a buggy.
And we don't even live in Rome.
That's why we've got a buggy.
So we can get there.
It's a long long way without a buggy,
Especially from here.


Hey, I never said the songs were any good!

9 comments:

Kazzer said...

MMM. I think you should stick to writing prose.

Unknown said...

Love the new variations to the songs! Most of my improvisations are "dooby dooby dooby ..."

Anonymous said...

I like making up words to TV theme tunes, and making the words relevant. I particularly like theme tunes where the first phrase of the tune scans as the name of the programme, eg

"The Sweeney, the Sweeney. Here come Jack and George in the Sweeney. " (ad nauseam)

or

"Coooooooooo-ro-nation Street"

and although I never watched the programme, I loved the theme tune, it scanned perfectly: "Emmerdale Farm, getting mucky on Emmerdale Farm..."

More modern programmes have wishywashy theme tunes with no real melody, unfortunately.

Violet said...

kazzer: But I want to a new-look Spice Girl! I could be Five Spice...

emma: It's fun making them up, but I have to stop myself singing too loud when we're out in public.

cathi: That reminds me that I'd really like to get that CD of tv theme tunes. You know, the one with the tunes to Hawaii 5-0 and The Jetsons.

Michael C said...

Actually, I think those were very good. It beats what I used to sing to the twins...The Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.

Angela said...

It is amazing what you sing when you have a child

Violet said...

michael c: that's quite impressive. How did you manage the Bee Gee's falsettos?

angela: yeah, all kinds of rubbish!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to report back that I can't get that stupid Swing Looooooowwwww out of my head. I can now contribute two more verses:

I looked over Ngaio and what did I see
Coming for to carry me home?
Toyotas and Holdens, all SUVs
Coming for to carry me home

I looked over Lambton, and what did I see
Coming for to carry me home?
Government ministers, and my MP
Coming for to carry me home

I thank you

Violet said...

cathi: well, now that I've left a mark I can die happy ;-)

btw your verses are much better than mine.