Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Extra-curricular activities

I've done it. I've signed up to a short-story writing evening class, and a weekend class on abstract painting.

The latter was my first choice, but I only managed to get on it today because someone else on cancelled out. I've always had a problem with painting that wasn't representational, so I'm hoping this class will help me get in touch with my non-figurative side.

And as for the short story class, I've never actually had a yen to write stories. But I do like writing so it ought to help, right?

A big plus is that it'll get me out of the house and get me baby-free time on Saturday afternoons.

10 comments:

darth said...

sounds great! hope you post samples of your work in both classes at some point :)

The Editter said...

Yay you! And if the boy gets a clash with your class time, I'll come babysit, OK?

Violet said...

darth: okay, but only if my work is exceptionally good, or unintentionally hilarious...

the editter: okay, but the Saturday class is from 12.30 till 4.30. You might regret your offer after a 4hour session with the food-throwing Miss.

Make Tea Not War said...

Sounds good. Be interesting to hear how the short stories go. I've always been very sure my genre wasn't fiction too but you never know. I recently bought a ukulele as part of my attempt at broadening my horizons and doing something non child related.

Laura said...

Well done - these sound like great classes!

Determinist said...

Does this mean that you'll join Kiwiwriters ? It can only help, especially if you want or need encouragement from a bunch of like-minded writer wannabes. :)

Either way - make sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Angela said...

enjoy your classes. I know I enjoyed mine. I needed some time to myself

Violet said...

mtnw:so how's the ukelele going ?

laura: yeah, the first one's on Saturaday and I'm a little excited about it.

determinist: I guess that depends on whether I feel more like a writer once I start the course, or less ;-)

angela: I hope I do. At least it'll get me out of the house, eh?

flying kiwi said...

I did a short story writing course once in your town with some famous NZ writer - is it that one? If so, it's a very good course.

I'll come and babysit if you pay my airfares...

Violet said...

flying kiwi: that's very *cough* generous of you to offer, flying kiwi. But if the boy lets me down I'll call sometime cheaper ;-)
I don't know who the instructor is for the writing class - it's yet to be announced. Which might mean the whoever was going to do it, quit.