Friday, May 18, 2007

Ask Auntie Vi

Dear Auntie Vi


My toddler has recently start throwing food again and it's driving me crazy. I try to make her tasty, nutritious meals, and really hate seeing it all end up on the floor, especially when it's obvious that she's doing it on purpose.

I've tried telling her "No" in a stern voice, but she just laughs at me.

I've tried turning her high chair around to face the wall and ignoring her, but even though the lack of attention upsets her, it doesn't stop her from throwing food at the very next meal.

I've also tried taking her food away as soon as it starts hitting the floor, but this has no effect either (she's probably no longer hungry by then).


What can I do? I'm sick of picking up bits of rice and peas off the floor.


Frustrated of Nappy Valley


Dear Frustrated

In my experience, only one thing has worked so far in stopping one's child from throwing food.

And that is, to take it away from them while they are still eating.


Good Luck.



Aunti Vi

5 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

Advice Column?
I like it.

Daddy L said...

I'm with you Auntie Vi. Give them a warning to stop throwing food or else the meal is over. Then if it happens again, end the meal. Yes the child will miss a meal or two, but they'll also get the message pretty quick.

Violet said...

nigel: yeah, got any problems I can "sort out"? ;-)

daddy l: the trouble is when the little monster throws food because she's full. So I have to hover around, ready to remove the food the very second she looks like she might be finished.

Watson Woodworth said...

If you could I think you'd graduate from Auntie to Llama, if it's spelled the same way as a South American camel.

Violet said...

nigel: I think "guru" might be appropriate ;-) But of course I couldn't sort out your problems, any more than I can sort out my own!