Tuesday, February 08, 2005

What's happened to my knees?

I had a fruitless search through the local preggie-wear shop for a light summer dress - there's a summer sale on but of course if it's in my size then either I don't want it or someone else just bought the last one. I also went into one of the large second-hand clothes shops, but no luck there either. Second-hand shopping really takes a lot more patience than I ever have when I'm looking for something in particular.

In this kind of heat, and with this much difficulty in finding something that fits right and doesn't make me look like one of Trinny and Susannah's fashion criminals, it's no wonder that some women resort to tents and kaftans. I can almost feel the desperation coming on.

Hopefully my brother's partner will have some preggie gear saved by which I can borrow. She's a different height and a different colouring, but most preggie stuff I've seen is black anyway and I can just promise not to shorten anything permanently (she has enough three-quarter length pants).

In the meantime I finally found an old sundress which I bought years ago. It's too short really, but it's cool to wear and should be fine as long as I don't wear it out in public. I really don't remember my knees looking quite to pudgy in it though. I sincerely hope that, whether it's fat or water retention, it's temporary.

5 comments:

Jon said...

You can't wear a black summer dress when you're pregnant! It would be like stepping into an oven! If all else fails, just wrap a light colored sheet around you ;)

Violet said...

But if I wear white or one of those pinky peachy colours I'll look like a marshmallow with feet...

No Milk Please said...

i don't know if i have really seen any maternity wear that is not too 'maternal'. good luck on your shopping!

Anonymous said...

my god violet, are you preggie?? what kind of wacky age are we in, where such important information is learnt via the net? Actually maybe it is a good age - its been so long since i rang you, it probably would have taken me months more to hear about it!Bloody hell we have to catch up for that coffee. and I still haven't watched any buffy's!! i am so bad. ok am putting a note to ring you by the end of the weekend ok.

Violet said...

Hi Ian! How's life post-Peter Jackson?