Friday, February 18, 2005

The triumph of the bargain hunter (also a lady of leisure)

I realise now that I've been shopping for preggy clothes in the wrong places. The first shops I went to have turned out to be the most expensive so far, and today I found two shops which are far less taxing on my credit card. Best of all, one of those shops has a discount outlet at Dressmart, which means that I found a pair of maternity jeans for twenty five measly dollars. Twenty five measly dollars! Just to give you an indication of how excitingly cheap that is, these jeans are more than one hundred dollars cheaper than the pair I've been wearing up till now. Even the non-discount price was half of what I paid for the ones I've been wearing. This kind of thing always makes me feel such an idiot for not having shopped around in the first place. It's also made me kinda happy to have found the right places to shop.

I think I'm experiencing a form of empty nest syndrome. Now that I'm working three days a week and not studying any more, I have lots more time to do other things. But I spent a whole year being too busy to do anything other than work and study, so I'm really not used to having all this free time. Today I slept in, did the laundry, went shopping for clothes and read blogs. Later I'll watch last night's episode of The Guardian and when the boy gets home from work this evening we'll watch some episodes of Firefly (thanks for lending us the DVDs, Make Tea Not War - what a pal!). I really meant to be more constructive with my time, like working on my travel diary scrapbook and reading books about stuff which I want to learn without actually signing up for any courses (mythology, art history, philosophy). But the time I get around to doing these things I might be already knee-deep in baby poo. I hope not.

5 comments:

Frally said...

I've forgotten what all that free time feels like. Enjoy it, savour it, relish it while it lasts.

Jon said...

How have you been feeling? You haven't written about morning sickness or hemmoroids (spelling), which hopefully won't happen to you.....

Violet said...

Frally:Oh I am...it just feels so unfamilia...

Jon:You'd really want to read about the morning sickness, haemorrhoids, thrush, itching, chafing, headaches, backaches etc (not that all of these apply to me - I'm just reading them out of the library book)? Really?

Jon said...

Well, I don't know if I would WANT to read about, but considering that I just wrote about my food poisoning in graphic detail, it could be ebtertaining ;) Of course, I hope you have as few of these problems as humanly possible. I mean, I ain't no pervert! :P

Violet said...

Okay Jon, I'll try to be a little less polite with my subject matter then :-) But don't expect me to post up a birth video in six months' time...