The boy and I decided it was high time we took a long weekend away again, in a couple of weeks' time. I didn't want to go to Rotorua for the umpteenth time, because we've seen most of the touristy places at least once (the geysers, the hot mud pools, buried Maori villages...). Usually the big draw for us is to find a motel which has private thermally heated hot pools, and spend our evenings in one. This time around though, the hot pools are off-limits for me.
So I thought that this time we could go to Napier.
Reasons to go to Napier:
- The boy has never been there before
- Its known for its Art Deco architecture, as the place was rebuilt in 1931 after a massive earthquake
- The weather is usually nice
- The area is covered in wineries (good for the boy) and orchards (good for me)
- It's not as far away as Rotorua, therefore the boy is less likely to get grouchy from all the driving (especially if I forget to pack the beer again)
- We can get there without flying (which the boy hates) or boating (which makes me nauseous - I've had enough of that in the last four months)
Reasons not to stay:
- It's where some schoolboys got done for inserting a broomstick into their classmate's bottom
- I have relatives there. Sooner or later, I'd bump into them and have to make small talk - maybe even visit them
- It's smaller than where we live, therefore will offer less to do at night
- Scenically speaking, it wouldn't hold a candle to most holiday spots in the South Island
No doubt we'll be on the lookout for Internet cafes once we get there.