Sunday, February 06, 2005

a Chinese New Year surrogate

Chinese New Year is a much bigger deal these days, at least among the non-Chinese. For the last few years it's been marked by food and craft stalls, a parade and entertainment. I don't usually bother attending these events, seeing as they're merely commercially-oriented and aimed at the white folks. We did go out last night to watch the fireworks though, just 'cos I love watching fireworks. The spectacle lasted about half an hour, which is actually a really long time (especially if you're standing up). There were fireworks which produced heart shapes and spirals, fireworks which looked like a swarm of mosquitos and lots of noise and smoke. In fact there was so much smoke, and so little wind to blow it away, that afterwards the whole of the city centre was enveloped in the stuff. It's how I'd imagine San Francisco to look like on one of it's famous foggy days.

Meanwhile, our planned family New Year dinner has been canned because my brother and his family have pulled out. His mother-in-law is in town and somehow this means that they will be far too busy to celebrate what I thought was quite an important day for my mother. Whatever.

Oh yeah, and I just realised that the boy is a Rooster. I'd better find out whether Roosters and Dragons are compatible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're fiery and exciting; he's practical, even conservative, apparently.

http://chinese.astrology.com/compat/dragonrooster.html

Jenny

Violet said...

It's a very impressive compatibility score, though I'd say I'm the planner of the household.