Thursday, February 10, 2005

neither glutton-free nor fat-free

Today I got to attend a board meeting; apart from the board members who came in from all over the country, most of the people at my office were there. Being a newbie, it was a day of listening and trying to remember people's names, rather than one in which I could actually contribute anything useful.

Lunch and morning and afternoon teas were provided; a boon for a snacker like myself who also can't turn down free food. It was a bit unlucky that I couldn't eat most of the lunch offerings though - I had to pass up the various cold meats (for fear of the dreaded listeria) and my egg allergy stopped me from trying the quiche. I had to make do with tons of salad and very generous portions of hokey-pokey ice cream and fruit salad. The cakes and fresh fruit in the afternoon was so nice that I wished I was one of those uninhibited people who just do whatever the hell they want without worrying what others think of them. But I'm not, so I didn't gorge myself, or sneak food away in my pocket. And to top off this veritable foodfest, the meeting went on so long that I didn't get around to getting my walk in. I hope baby doesn't mind that his mum's been a glutenous slob today.



6 comments:

Frally said...

I'm sure baby doesn't mind. It's more worrying for the mother to think that she could give birth to a 16 pound baby after all that food.

glomgold said...

What's hokey-pokey ice cream? Does it have animal shaped candies in it cuz, boy, wouldn't that be embarrassing for the fella who brought that to the adult table.

Jon said...

Here's what you should do: hire somone to be your food taster. If they don't drop dead, eat it! Or, to save money, just wait a while before samplig things. If you notice people passing out or running to the bathroom, don't eat it.

Also, you referred to your baby as him. Is it definitely going to be a boy? Are you naming it Jon? *batting eyelashes*

Violet said...

Frally: bloody hell, NOW I'm scared! And the father is six two, so the possibility of bearing an extra large baby is not exactly in the realms of fantasy...

Glomgold: close, but no cigar. Hokey pokey ice cream is full of toffee bits, though not shaped like animals. It's a good idea though.

Jon: I was using "him" in the generic sense, though I will have a chance to know the sex in a couple of weeks when I go for my amnio. If it's a boy and we call him Jon, would he grow up to be a fabulously dressed, food-loving night-clubber of the gay persuasion?

Jon said...

Hopefully! :D And don't forget the good sense of humor.....

Violet said...

Of course he'll/she'll have a sense of humour - it's in the genes.