Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The end of The Office

It took several weeks of watching only when the boy was out or busy, but I did it - I have finished watching the complete Series One and Two of The Office. Fortunately, I have never worked with anyone as annoying as Gareth (I think) and I've never had to kow-tow to a manager as pitifully unfunny as David Brent. This probably why I thoroughly enjoyed the show, while the boy couldn't watch it without emitting groans of recognition.

I hadn't managed to see the second series while it was first broadcast on television so it was a complete surprise to see Dawn and Tim get together. That scene in the taxi when Dawn opened up her Secret Santa gift, and it's a set of oil paints from Tim - it made me go all teary. Although...that might have been the hormones.

And shockingly enough, even the Brentmeister finds a girlfriend. A woman who is both physically attractive and nice actually finds him funny and wants to see him again. Surely that's a message of hope for even the saddest loser.

I haven't yet played the David Brent music CD. It may have to wait until I find a way to secretly put a small - but effective - speaker in the Noisy Neighbour's house. It's a revenge thing.

4 comments:

nichole said...

I love the Office - with Reggie Perrin, it's the best televisual antidote to feelings of despair about my own job. (It doesn't really come close.)

Anonymous said...

By coincidence, I just saw the final episode myself a couple of days ago. I was very surprised at how well Brent came off at the end. I wanted Tim and Dawn to be happy together (and how cool was it, and how very true to life, that SHE had to make the move?), but I expected Brent to just get bleaker and bleaker, not get a happy ending.

Oh yeah, I was just really posting to tell you about http://buffyology.johnhorner.nu/ my Buffy reference website.

Violet said...

thanks for the URL, stranger. I've bookmarked it for later perusal...

Hugh said...

Hormones or no hormones, I got teary during that scene too when I first saw it. It was a great end to one of the best TV shows in recent times.