Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On the possibility of sudden employment

I sent them my CV, thinking that they'd either: 1. email me back and tell me to get some qualifications, or 2. put it in a filing cabinet with all the other CVs, in case a vacancy comes up.

The last thing I expected was that they'd call me and ask me to come in for an interview.

The thing is, in the back of my mind I wasn't expecting any action for a few months (like after TLM turns 3, when I'll be able to put her in daycare for 20 free hours per week). If I were to suddenly start working in the next few weeks - even part-time - I'd need to find extra childcare in a hurry. And then there's the settling-in period for TLM, who still much prefers to play with her mummy, not to mention a probably setback to her already-tortuous potty training progress.

So, I've been a bit preoccupied, really excited, pleased, and...terrified.

p.s. wish me luck with the interview :-)

13 comments:

Amanda said...

All the very best of luck with the interview.

Remember too if the potty training isn't going well you can always give it a rest for awhile. I wish I had done that before it turned into a battle of wills as it did- though in the end it all went quite quickly once Z had actually decided she was ready

Anonymous said...

Life has a habit of happening faster than we plan it.

Good luck with the interview - I'm sure you'll sort out the childcare issue if it arises. And maybe a bit of peer pressure will help with the training?

glomgold said...

I guess that's a good sign for your qualifications & skills right? Best of luck!

Kerryn Angell said...

Good luck! These things happen for a reason. :)

Violet said...

mtnw: the possibility of giving it a rest is very definitely being considered...

cathi: I was hoping that seeing other kids at daycare sitting on their potties, would encourage her. But it doesnt.

glomgold: or it just means I can write a mean CV!

kerryn angell: thanks :-)

darth said...

best of luck, violet!

its always feast or famine I guess :)

Watson Woodworth said...

You could always tell them that your avaliability is in three months.
I'm glad you got such possitive results.

No Milk Please said...

definitely the best of luck! best thing to do: prepare for the most common questions and also have your list of best accomplishments to bring up. this will make you sound more confident and prepared, which is like 10x better than most people who don't bother preparing. you will be heads above anyone.

:)

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Good luck!

Violet said...

nigel: I said that for anything over 10 hours/week, I'd need a couple of weeks to find extra childcare. And you know what? He didn't seem to mind!

darth: it's probably impossible to get the timing perfect, what with childcare waitlists and all that.

no milk: yep, I've already got my brag folder, though unfortunately theres nothining in it less than 3 years old...

lumpyheadsmom: thanks!

Angela said...

Yea the call is a good sign. The sooner you put her in child care the sooner more of the potty training is on someone else.
I think the training will probably Slow down but at least it will give you a break

Things seem to work out the way they should
Good luck

Violet said...

angela: yeah that's true. Or, I could give up and put her back into nappies until she actually asks to use the potty.

Watson Woodworth said...

Excellent.
Non-psycho bosses are always a plus!