Thursday, January 31, 2008

No gaming gene

The boy has been very patiently attempting to turn me into a gamer-lite. But so far it hasn't been very successful. The brain gym was fun, but the latest game has been more than a little frustrating. I suppose that gamers (and teenagers) would find the Nintendo DS game, Mystery Detective (or Touch Detective) perfectly logical. But I don't. I can't solve even the first mystery, even with the help of a cheat sheet (though it is written in bad English, which doesn't help).

But then, I have trouble doing crosswords, even the non-cryptic ones. And on the rare occasion that I play something in a video game parlour, I usually either crash and burn (if it's a motor race), or shoot all the wrong characters.

I guess I'm just no good at games. But I wonder what significance it has for my IQ...

7 comments:

Angela said...

I got the blind gene so I can't game either. This is a good thing because with my husband's obsession nothing would ever get done around the house.
I don't actually know if the non helping around the home is because he is a gamer or because he is a husband.

Amanda said...

Don't feel alone. I'm not good at games either. I just uninstalled. Scrabulous (essentially Scrabble) from Facebook because I have lost every single game I've played and I'm tired of it [pouts]. I actually have a good vocabulary but I just can't seem to translate it to the game environment.

Violet said...

angela: apparently the blind gene is no hindrance to gaming. I saw a guy on TV who's blind, but plays PS2 games by memorising how the music and sound effects change according to where he's at in the game.

mtnw: I have a good vocabulary too, but unfortunately I forget most of it :-)

Geekery said...

Angela: take it from me as both a gamer and a husband the non helping is genetic in both gamers and husbands...

Violet: You're playing the wrong games.... try Call of Duty 4 on X-Box live.... nothing like listening to complaining Americans moan about someone running around killing them...

Violet said...

onscreen: well geez, that doesn't sound like a fun game!

Geekery said...

it is if you're the one running around killing them.....

Violet said...

Oh okay. That'd make a difference :-)