Saturday, May 06, 2006

Yes, we have no quinoa

I've been racking my brain trying to work out what protein-y food to give Baby; she doesn't like meat much, and because of my family history of allergies, I can't give her eggs, dairy, nuts or fish (at least until she's 12 months old). An acquaintance told me that her baby son absolutely loves quinoa (pronounced keen-wa), so today I went shopping for some.

Unfortunately, the health food sections of the two supermarkets I visited stock little more than protein bars, rice pasta and organic muesli. Not to be deterred, I visited the only health food shop within a 5 km radius of home...

It took only a minute or two for the shop owner to sadly inform me that they were right out of quinoa. Being a friendly sort of person, I briefly explained why I was after this mysterious pseudo-cereal.

Before I knew what had happened, he'd found out my blood type and launched into half-hour long spiel about what foods I should and shouldn't eat as a Type O. Apparently I'm not allergic to eggs, carrots and chicken, because when he hung a door key in the air it spun in an anti-clockwise direction (or some such mumbo-jumbo). Okay, I think he was just joking about the key thing. But he promised me that if I followed the diet detailed on the sheets of paper in front of me (available for purchase at five dollars per copy) for one month, I'd have a flatter stomach, a smaller bum, clearer skin and be able to eat all those no-go foods. I'd have to avoid wheat, dairy (including ice cream!), smoked salmon, avocado, coffee and a whole bunch of yummy things though.

It was interesting all right, but then I remembered my reason for entering the shop in the first place - to buy protein-y food for Baby.

So I left.

6 comments:

Nikos said...

what is quinoa anyway? I will never let icecream go! Even though I am lactose intolerant :-(

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd look into this diet-by-blood-group thing and found a book in Dymocks. It said I should have a high-carb, low-fat diet. Had already been doing that for 10 years and I'm type 2 diabetic now. So I put the book back on the shelf and decided to curl up with A.S. Byatt instead

Jon said...

I'm type O as well. When I was a baby/infant, I couldn't eat wheat, nuts, chocolate, or dairy of any sort. I've outgrown these allergies for the most part, but peanuts, peanut oil, and peanut butter still gives me these itchy welts (or is it whelts?) on my arms that go away in 30 minutes to 2 hours. I still eat peanuts on occasion and just put up with the itching, though....I'm sure the health food guuy would freak out if I told him that ;-)

Violet said...

eb: I can't give up ice cream either. Nor smoked salmon, coffee, wheat bread...

mr f: you'll find what you need to know about quinoa in the link. I too, am lactose intolerant, but it only stops me from drinking milkshakes and cream-based soups.

cathi: oh well, there you go then. The guy's chart said I should eat plenty of eggs, but since I'm supposed to be allergic to them there's no way I'd eat them now. I tried AS Byatt, but she's not to my taste.

jon: a school friend told me her mum used to eat ice cream even though it always gave her the shits.

Rainypete said...

I tried a similar experiment except I used a medium rare grilled t-bone steak instead of a key. I never get the results because as it starts spinning around I lunge like a lion onto its prey.

Violet said...

rainypete: well, that would kinda ruin the experiment wouldn't it? But at least you wouldn't go hungry