Friday, May 05, 2006

At least the oven's clean

Just as jon fears (see his comment to my previous post), this blog is going all domestic. And now for my tale of kitchen woe...

Miraculously, Baby decided to favour me with an hour-long afternoon nap today. In that time, I toiled away at the kitchen making a baby-friendly beef casserole. The recipe was from a leaflet about the importance of giving babies iron-rich food, and I was keen to try it out as a grown-up dish.

Now, although our oven is nice and clean (finally), it's just a teeny bit dodgy. For example, biscuits that should take 15 minutes to turn golden brown generally have to be rescued from certain charcoal-ness in just 5.

And that's why, when I left the casserole in the oven - with the heat on "Low" - before telling the boy about it and then leaving the house to attend another mums' group gathering, I should've gotten a premonition that Something Very Bad was going to occur.

I was a little late back and had already forgotten about tonight's dinner in the oven. The kitchen was like a sauna. Dinner was black, hard, and smelled like an unwashed barbeque.

I turned off the oven. But guess what? It wouldn't turn off.

I just hope that tomorrow I remember to turn the main switch on at the wall before I try to cook breakfast. I can just see myself standing there in my towelling dressing gown and pajama pants (yes, I have these now - I'm sure it's something to do with motherhood), cursing because the stove elements won't heat up.

5 comments:

Jon said...

I'm curious what you did to the oven-- you have powers, Violet....mysterious powers....

Kazzer said...

wow! I used my oven the other day to bake actual food. What a novel experience. Do I have to clean it now? Why does that break it? Take-outs are so much simpler.

Violet said...

eb: no doubt it'll still be in solid form 1000 years from now...

juliabohemian: I used to cook so little that I could get away with having no rangehood for years. But now the oven is really useful even if it's just for cooking the oven chips.

jon: yeah, the boys says that too. Things like remotes, mobile phones and televisions stop working when I try to use them. And to think I used to work in the IT industry.

kazzer: if you only use it the once then don't worry about cleaning it for at least another year.

flying kiwi said...

Because of you I almost bought oven cleaner when I was at the supermarket today.

But then I didn't.

Violet said...

flying kiwi: Gosh, to think I almost made a difference to someone's grocery shop...