Friday, May 12, 2006

Brain bites

I was listening to a CD of children's songs by Woody Guthrie (he makes great car noises, by the way), when it struck me that he sounds an awful lot like Lou Reed.

I've been reading Why Buffy Matters, by Rhonda Wilcox. As you know, I am a super-duper Buffy/Angel fan (to be more precise, a super-duper Whedon fan), but some of the scholarly writings about the show have made me appreciate it so much more. If you've ever needed to be convinced that Buffy can be studied and dissected like a Russion novel or a John Donne poem, then this book is for you. While it wasn't quite as much fun as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy, or Fighting the Forces, this is still a really enjoyable book if you're a fan.

I am way tired. I think I'm more tired now than I was when I was feeding a newborn two-hourly through the night. I think it's because I no longer have time during the day to make it up. Or else it's because I've aged since then.

Family Guy is one of my favourite TV shows at the moment. It's not only funny and wierd; it's also pretty damned shocking. And it airs at 7pm, well before most impressionable young children's bedtimes.

Baby and I have our passports in our hot little hands. All that remains to be done is for the boy to fork out the dosh and book us all a holiday.

I've started putting Baby in a dress - nothing frilly; just a red fleece tunic - and she looks even more adorable than when I was dressing her in boys' clothes. People keep coming up to us and making coochy-coo noises. At her, not me.

Did you know that rats can't vomit? According to a book I'm reading, How to kill your spouse the natural way, they can't.

It's now 9.48pm and way past my bedtime. Goodnight.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I think Woody and Arlo made an album jointly but I have yet to track it down.

Violet- I know what you mean about tiredness. Someone told me the other day that his main memory of having babies and young children was one of constant tiredness.

Jon said...

'Family Guy' is alright, but the guy who created the show (Seth McFarlane) also has an animated show called 'American Dad', about a man who works for the CIA and is insanely conservative, his wife, his liberal hippie dughter, his nerdy son-- oh, an alien from Area 51 named Roger (who is kind of gay) and a German goldfish live with them as well. IMHO, MUCH MUCH funnier than Family Guy. Don't know if they have it in NZ, though....

I love Lou Reed, well, at least his old stuff. Velvet Underground are one of my favorite bands :)

Watson Woodworth said...

Arlo did a set of Woody's childrens songs about ten years ago or so.
It's weird to see old Arlo since he'll always look so young in Alice's Restaurant.
I like Lou Reed's voice but I could never stand Andy Warhol Superstars.

flying kiwi said...

They have American Dad in Oz, so possibly in NZ too. I find AD and FG quite similar, really. But both funny.

And I'm glad, for the Boy's sake, that he is not your spouse.

Violet said...

juliabohemian: I didn't think Arlo recorded anything other than Alice's Restaaurant...

mtnw: I try not to let it affect my enjoyment of Baby's all-over cuteness, but if only I could have a few nights' full sleep.

jon: I've never heard of American Dad - is it as offensive as Family Guy?

My brother was the Velvet Underground fan, but I did really like something by another New Yorker - that song by Springsteen, sung by Patti Smith.

nigel: wow - that's like Natalie whatsername singing her dad's songs.

flying kiwi: heh, I forgot to mention that that book is actually about the dangers of "organic" foods compared to the relative safety of engineered foods. I didn't realise it at first, but it's quite an argument in favour of GE.

glomgold said...

Come on! No way American Dad is funnier than Family Guy, at least not the old Family Guy. I haven't seen any of the new ones though. I always meant to find out what the connection was b/t Woody & Arlo Guthrie (if this even is any).

Violet said...

glomgold: you mean, apart from them being father and son?