Sunday, May 21, 2006

Getting ready to be hated

It sure is hard to shop for tropical island clothing, when it's the middle of winter. During my two hours of baby-free time this afternoon, I went in and out of shops in such a rush that by the end of it I was all hot and sweaty (unless that's early menopause I'm experiencing...). Finally I returned home with one nice top for dinners out, one flirty skirt which also looks pretty damned hot with knee high boots, and a birthday present for my two-year-old niece (a Dora the Explorer doll).

I've been looking to the Internet for advice on travelling with babies, and found a couple of useful sites - Flying With Kids and some ivillage pages. The latter has this amusing and probably very true, piece of advice:

Don’t keep apologising to child-free passengers. They hate you anyway. Saying you’re sorry when your offspring pings his plastic spoon over the seat is not going to create a beautiful friendship. Oh, and if it still goes belly-up, cheer yourself up with the thought that, in 16 years or so, your baby won’t want to go on holiday with you anyway.

6 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Don't ever apologise to anyone for taking children on a holiday! We were all babies and children once, it's just a pity that so many of forget that!

There are always miserable b******s who will throw you a dirty look. I smiled and waved and pointed the baby in their direction!

Violet said...

ms. mac: and somehow I have no trouble believing you did!

Violet said...

juliabohemian: is tylenol a pain killer or a sleep potion?

Anonymous said...

Violet, Tylenol is "acetominophen", ie paracetomol

Good luck with your trip. I believe you get the trip you expect, so, expect it to be trouble-free and it will be

The Skirt said...

Yeah, I agree with ms. mac - people need to get over themselves! Baby will cry because she's a baby - that's what they do. It's not like a dirty look from a stranger will suddenly, magically make the crying stop.

Now, the parents with older kids who don't make any attempt to parent them at all, but treat the entire plane like a playground where all the other adults can supervise their kids... These people I take issue with.

Violet said...

cathi: It looks like a fair bit of positive visualisation is in order...

the skirt: it's not just the crying I'd be afraid of; Baby's quite fond of ear-piercing screeches too.