Saturday, May 08, 2004

From too little exposure to too much?

Now that I'm not only a library worker, but also a library student, I have joined the national library and information association. The other day I received the latest issue of their monthly magazine in the mail, and when I got to page 26 I saw they'd published a list of the association's newest members.

Eager to see my name in print (it doesn't happen very often), I scanned the list for my name.
I saw ...my surname...and the name of my hometown beside it...but someone had put my first name down as 'Vanya'.

I immediately sent off an e-mail to the editor, to let her know of the mistake. I also added at the end some small remark about the poor library-assistant salaries being a bone of contention for librarian-wannabees like me.

Now it looks like I've sort of committed myself to writing a proper Letter to the Editor on the subject. How do I do this honestly, without pissing off anyone in the industry i.e. workmates and employers, both current and potential?

No comments: