Friday, May 02, 2008

clueless newbie

The office administrator emailed me today, reminding me to send in my invoice. Argh! But I haven't registered for GST (goods and services tax) yet! I haven't got a tax agent/accountant yet! I don't know how to prepare an invoice yet! She took pity on me and explained what I needed to do in order to get for the 2 days I worked last month, and told me to get my arse into gear and get some financial advice.

I guess I'll do that this coming week, 'cos I don't want to be clueless for too long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The process itself is not too difficult, Violet, IRD are usually quick to accept ways of registering people for tax :) your IRD number becomes your GST number anyway. It's the decision-making that's hard - the main one being whether to set up a company or register personally. I would set up a company if it were me, then you can still take cash-in-hand payments for babysitting etc (like you're going to need that, but you know what I mean).

Violet said...

thanks cathi. I dont think I'd earn enough to make it worthwhile setting up a company. In fact, on my expected income I probably don't even have to register for GST (though it might be handy having extra money to earn interest from).

Angela said...

confusing stuff