Friday, July 20, 2007

Call me the unfinisher

What an irony. A few years ago my workplace made us all take personality tests, and according to my test score I was a task-completer extraordinaire. My creativity score, on the other hand, was disappointingly low.

This is no longer true. For weeks now, I've been struggling to start and finish a third painting (I managed two during my abstract painting course). I keep coming up with ideas for paintings,but those blocks of free time in which I can paint, have been frustratingly rare. I'm finding that, by the time I've an opportunity to work on my idea, I've already mentally moved onto the next idea. End result - one canvas has been painted over about four times with a new background colour, but hasn't yet progressed beyond that point.

Creative types are known for their inability to finish projects. Could this be a sign of a personality transformation?

4 comments:

Determinist said...

Hahah.. that's good.

I did a Myers-Briggs personality test a little while ago. I can't remember the categories I fit into, but I was so close to 50/50 on so many of the different groups that I ended up in something like 6 or 8 of the 16 different categories of personality.

A few things were right though. One - I've very rule based and things have to be done a certain way... it's annoying that someone who is completely removed from you can predict how you will behave.

You have proven that it doesn't have to be that way though. I've noticed myself drift as well. I don't know if you can actually plan to change, but people certainly do.

Having a child probably affected you more than you know. Maybe it's Dave, yeah, you can always blame Dave.

Violet said...

Yep. Having a child has lowered my Completer score so much that my Creativity score looks pretty good in comparison ;-)

Angela said...

I always had problems with those tests. After I would take one I would have a conversation with myself. “that’s right, no no no, that isn’t at all right, oh I am a little of that, what? How did they come up with that, oh well that is how I am on some days” etc…

Violet said...

angela: I suspect those personality tests are a little like horoscopes. If you read up all lf the types, you'll find they all apply to you to some degree.