Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Melted ice cream and feline anatomy

It was a long work today - 9am till 6.15pm, with only half an hour for lunch plus morning and afternoon tea breaks. I couldn't even tune out during the day-long meeting, because I'm the minute-taker and had to pay attention.

The big plus was that our snacks and lunch were provided, and very nice food it was too. Because I've been brought up not to waste a single grain of rice in my bowl, it was impossible not to eat too much. Even with careful pickiness though, I still didn't have room for more than a smidgeon of dessert. Without meaning to be melodramatic, it was almost emotionally painful to see that huge block of melting strawberry and chocolate coated ice cream (and accompanying fresh fruit salad) left on the table as we left the dining room at the end of the lunch break, knowing it was probably going to be thrown out with the other leftovers. What a waste of creamy dairy goodness...

There. Now that I've got that off my chest, I feel so much better now.

The boy and I have discovered a new phrase to use on each other. I think it's Australian - it's definitely been used on Kath and Kim, and it's a synonym for to pout. It's To have a mouth like a pussy bum, or to have a mouth like a cat's bottom.

3 comments:

flying kiwi said...

Oh I miss Kath and Kim. I still ask for Cardonnay on occasion. And they had some great ideas for baby names on that show, come to think of it. There was Catheter and Nil by Mouth (pronounced Australian obviously, so like Neil for those not in the know).

Violet said...

happyandblue2: If I'd done that I would've ended up with very wet pockets and a reputation for pouting.

Flying Kiwi: We currently getting the third series on the telly, and we also have the second series on DVD to re-watch as often as I like. Catheter has potential, you could call her Cath for short y'see.

glomgold said...

It makes my heart heavy to hear that wasted ice cream story as well. I have a movie 'Nil By Mouth'; haven't watched it yet but it's Gary Oldman so's gotta be good! My friend used to try to convince me that the expression "that's the cat's ass" was one from the 50's meaning "cool"; I didn't buy it.