Monday, March 14, 2005

Like a hangover, but without the preceding party

It sure hasn't been a good couple of days for my sinuses. There's been sneezing, wheezing, waking up with a headache this morning and lack of sleep last night. For the last few months, I've been waking up at around 3am every morning and not been able to get back to sleep. This is where early morning TV is useful, because what's on at this time of day tends to put me right back to sleep again. Every so often it doesn't work though, because I'll end up avidly watching baby cheetahs or crocodiles on Animal Planet.

I don't know why this is happening. I was expecting to get up several times a night to pee, but that isn't happening (if anything, I wake up really thirsty because I've been mouth-breathing again, and need to drink water). What I'm experiencing hasn't happened since the months preceding my big OE years ago (to non-Antipodeans, the OE is when you take around two years off to work and travel overseas, usually based in or around London). So maybe it's anxiety.

Try drinking a glass of warm milk before you go to bed, I hear you suggest. Are you crazy? I reply, I'm lactose-intolerant - you'll have me staggerig to the toilet with massive gut-aches all night.

My poor workmates. It's bad enough that they have to put up with my pregancy-related brain shrinkage, without also having to deal with the shortcomings resulting from sleep deprivation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the earthquake this morning didn't help with the sleep either - certainly got me out of bed!

The headache sounds like a dehydration issue, maybe? Esp. if you're waking up feeling thirsty. What about good old Horlicks as a substitute for warm milk?

Failing that, try to get a copy of the interview between David Frost and Henry Kissinger. Apparently it was voted favourite TV event by Insomiacs of America because all members were asleep within 10 minutes of watching...8-)

Violet said...

EB: Oh, I don't know about steaming - that'll probably dilate the blood vessels in my skin and make me nice and pink the next day...
Thanks for the links.

Desiree: Horlicks - does that stuff still exist? I'm well aware that I should drink more water, but it're really hard to actually keep sucking the stuff up.

Claudine said...

I'm telling you - this works for me. Pinch your nose for 20 secs (while breathing thru your mouth). Let go. Repeat. My blo - can you see the white background now?

Amanda said...

I'm afraid to say its quite possible your nose and sinuses will stay blocked and constant getting up to pee will probably sneak up on you too...In the last trimester I hardly slept at all with all the various discomforts...and I'm told that when I did I snored due to the constant congestion which is unusual for me. Also in the last few weeks I had terrible heart burn (though not everyone does) I think eventually you just get used to having less sleep.

It is not easy being a woman, I think.

Happy and Blue 2 said...

This is just your body practicing for when you give birth. You will never get a good nights sleep again...
Hope that helps,tee,hee...

Violet said...

claudblog: really? Does this fix the blocked nose or or the insomnia?

Make Tea and Happyandblue2: gee, thanks. :-(
Actually, I already suspected, but it won't really hit me until it happens.