Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Time

One of the children's books in the latest batch I borrowed from the library, is about time. And one of the pages has a picture showing a young baby, a pre-teen girl, a youngish adult woman and a grey-haired woman.

From new life to aged decreptitude in less than a second.

I've seen insurance ads on the telly which effectively do the same thing i.e. show a baby grow up, find a job, get married, greet his new grandchild and finally, dodder away to his grave.

Am I the only one who finds these sped-up lives thoroughly depressing?

5 comments:

happy and blue 2 said...

They are depressing but they are also a good way for a guy to see what to expect if he gets married, ha,ha..

Ms Mac said...

I find that my own life seems to be speeding up in the same fashion which is depressing enough!

Beth said...

WE had one here about a year ago where a baby was literally fired out and then over about 10 seconds you say him shoot through his life and he landed slap bang into his grave. It was something about life being short and making the most of it. It got loads of complaints here and was eventually banned I think! People found it offensive! I suddenly realised last month, whils helping my cousin revise (i'm a teacher),that it has been ten years since I sat my GCSE exams. Seems like yesterday.

Violet said...

happy and blue2: but there isn't one depicting a time line for a single guy - baby grows up, gets a job, gets drunk, tries picking up numerous women, dies surrounded by fat, illegimate children hoping for an inheritance ;-)

ms mac: my feelings exactly!

beth: when I went back to university, I had to put up with the fact that the last time I was there, I was about 18 years younger. But my grades were much better second time around ;-)

glomgold said...

You're right. Those types of ads are really what I'd call 'uppers'.