Sunday, November 13, 2005

Telling it like it is

Until I become bosom buddies with other mums of babies, I have to get my kicks reading about other other mums of babies. So far, I've read two books about mothers.

The first one was We Need to Talk About Kevin. I read this when I was pregnant; it was possibly an iffy choice for a first-time mother-to-be, but I'm actually re-reading it now because it's still a damned good book. Also, I'm afraid to say that I can relate to the character of Eva - specifically, her passion for travel and her ambivalence about giving up her old lifestyle for full-time motherhood.

The other book is Staying Mum by Mara Lee (interviewed here). It's a funny account of the first year of a woman's life after giving birth to her daughter, and reminds me of Kaz Cooke's Up the Duff, without the factual bits. It's light, it's honest and it's stroppy. It would have made a good baby blog.

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Someone recommended the Kevin book to me recently. I will have to look for it when I get back to Aust!

Jon said...

Up The Duff sounds like the kind of movie one watches at night with the blinds down.....

Sorry, that's the best I could do given the material (I obviously know nothing about motherhood ;) )

Violet said...

ms mac: 'tis a great book, but you might find it a tad dark...

jon: well you'd know all about those kinds of movies wouldn't you? ;-)