Friday, January 28, 2005

Shopping for tents

Now that I'm too big for my normal clothes, though not oddly-shaped enough to justify wearing tents and mumus , I've been in a bit of a dilemma as to how I should dress myself. Basically there is one skirt, one pair of track pants, one pair of full length trousers and sever al tops which fit me, and that's it.

So I decided to check out the preggie clothes, just in case they have stuff that I can wear starting from now. I had visions of pants with big frontal pouches in my head as I went down the road to the local Baby Star shop. The prices were the main eye-opener. Sure, I expected a few designer items which only women with money to burn would purchase - but I was hoping for the K-Mart versions too, and there weren't any.

Fortunately there was a pre-loved rack and a sale bin.

Carefully avoiding the giant-sized nursing bras, I flicked through the (mainly black) tops and bottoms until I found a pair of capris, a pair of spangly denims (not my usual taste, but perhaps the hormones picked 'em) and a singlet-shorts all-in-one (again with the hormones?). My new super-stretchy and comfy gear cost me a total of forty-nine little buckaroos, surely a bargain when the full-priced capris cost twice that much.

I've always found the idea of wearing someone else's pre-sweated clothing slightly unattractive, but it is after all only a temporary wardrobe. Mind you, these'll make great fat-day clothes, post-baby.

5 comments:

The Skirt said...

Have you thought about a wrap skirt? Reasonably practical, as long as it isn't too windy - plus you could wear it post mini-you too.

But then, I *am* a skirt fan, duh.

Frally said...

I didn't buy *any* maternity wear with my two pregnancies. I was a big fan of elastic and drawstrings for the pants/skirts. For tops, I went to those smelly incense shops that have stuff made in Nepal - Got some pretty, cheese-clothy tops in xtra-large and that worked a treat.
The bonus was all this stuff was completely wearable after I popped bubba out. I went too thin to wear maternity gear but was still to big to wear my old stuff.

Violet said...

Skirt: The wraparound skirt idea would be great, but I do live in a really windy part of the country. This would be fine as long as I can keep both hands free to hold everything in place as I walk, but usually I have a snack in one hand...

Frally: I quite like those cheesecloth tops too, but I find them too see-through to wear on their own unless they're black. Then I'd have to go looking for tops to wear under the cheesecloth top...

I think I'll be okay with non-preggie tops actually, since I mostly live in t-shirts and other stretchy stuff anyway.

Jon said...

I didn't buy any skirts during my pregnancy either ^_~

Violet said...

Jon: but will you buy one to wear for the summer? It'd keep you nice and cool...