Friday, January 21, 2005

The end of the world might be nigher than I'd like to think

There was another earthquake early this morning, this time strong enough to make me whip off the bed covers and make for the bedroom door. The house stopped shaking as soon as I got there, but I've started to worry. There were apparently nine of the buggers on Wednesday - nine shakes in nine hours - are we on our way to The Big One after all? Even the boy was concerned enough to tell me that if there's another one like that today I'm to call him so he'll know I'm okay. I myself am concerned enough to call my mum and reminded her what she's supposed to do (crouch under the dining table, or stand under a door frame - but not too close to windows), though I'm sure she'd either forget in the panic or just forget 'cos she's old and forgetful.

Perhaps that's why I'm finding it especially hard to get going on my assignment this morning. Okay, probably not.

6 comments:

Frally said...

Oh dear. I have a theory that California is on its way to a big one after reading about the giant squids beaching themselves there. Remember, it was not so long ago we had whales beaching themselves here...

By the way, cool blog. I'm a big Buffy fan too!!

Casyn said...

Sounds scary! Hope the tremors realise they aren't welcome and go away.

Jon said...

Be careful, Violet. I don't want anything to happen to the only person from New Zealand I know ^_^

Violet said...

Frallie: you're probably okay. We've had whales beaching themselves on our shores for ages now, and we've been okay so far.

Casyn: Yeah, it's scary when you think about the danger of falling into a crack in the earth (or being hit by a falling beam). But at least we don't have poisonous snakes and bugs over here :-)

Jon: that's sooo sweeet!

Amanda said...

Yes, all the recent earthquakes have been freaking me out a bit recently too. Someone was saying the other day they might be reverberations from the big one that cause the tsunami- apparently seismologists are still measuring the effects of that.

Violet said...

I'd feel a lot safer knowing the quakes are echoes from a previous Big One rather than the lead-up to a future Big One.