Thursday, January 13, 2005

The post-Firefly pre-last-work-day morning tea

Even though my last day at work is tomorrow, my morning tea was this morning (no, I didn't schedule a doctor's appointment on my last day at work on purpose).

The last woman who resigned received a voucher for a facial as her leaving gift; exactly what she'd wanted. I wondered whether anyone at work knew me well enough to get me something as appropriate. Well, I got a voucher for an art supplies shop. This is great, even though I haven't painted for almost a year now - but it's redeemable only in that one shop which is near the library (and very far from home - too far to go if I didn't already work in the area). I'll just have to go shopping before I get to work tomorrow - I may be quite late in, but the boss will understand.

At lunchtime, a group of us were sitting around talking about what kind of library we'd like to work in. T. thought that I'd prefer to be in an academic library because I seemed to her to be the kind of person who gets annoyed with "dumb people asking dumb questions". I was shocked that I was so transparent.

TV3 is screening the Firefly series at long last. At 11pm on a week night. I made the boy program the VCR to record it (because I can't make the VCR do anything), and we watched it last night. It's very different from BtVS and Angel, but the humour is kinda familiar. I liked it.

6 comments:

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Husband and I looooove Firefly!! I'd only seen a few until we bought it on DVD and then I was addicted. We can't wait for the movie, Serenity, to come out. We also regularly curse the TV powers-that-be for cancelling it so soon.

TLL
http://tinylittlelibrarian.blog-city.com

Casyn said...

It is a great show that was only starting to become great when it got axed. I bought the DVDs the instant I saw them on the shelf, without knowing anything more than it was a Joss show. I've managed to inflict it upon my family and a few others. Am glad you liked. Which ep did they show first? There is all sort of fun to be had with the order.
My art supplies are dwindling and also suffering from disuse.

Jon said...

One thing I've learned is that EVRYONE asks dumb questions. Don't think you'll be exempt form them if you work in an academic library! And what's Firefly?

Violet said...

TLL: I've vowed to make the boy record each and every single episode. However, it's going to rely on my memory, which isn't working 10%. For examply, last night I forgot it was Thursday and therefore The Guardian was on.

Casyn: The episode we saw was about the crew getting a job which involved stealing some boxes from a high-speed train. Their employer is a scary SS type who displays the inverted body of his dead nephew, as an example of what happens if they don't complete the job. Remember that one?

Jon: YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FIREFLY IS? It's a now-defunct futuristic western by Joss Whedon, creator of BtVS and Angel (and surely a divine being)

Casyn said...

Ah! That be 'The Train Job'. Tis the 2nd 1st episode. I hope they play the real pilot for you. They tried the same swindle here, and there was a big reaction and the next week Seven aired 'Serenity' part one. It takes a few eps to find it's feet, but the characters are so engaging. Even the ones we inevitably dislike.

Violet said...

It wouldn't surprise me if the TV gods are mixing and matching, Casyn. But I plan to see them all anyway, even if it means borrowing the pirated DVD copies off a friend of a friends...