Monday, January 10, 2005

Nepalese dinner party

A friend of mine and her sister are back from Thailand - both survivors of the Boxing Day tsunami - we were invited to have dinner with them and their friends at a local Nepalese restaurant.

R had on a complete silk Vietname outfit, which went surprisingly well with her dreadlocks. She's also just finished her PhD, so there were plenty of silly requests from the table to check out their respective rashes.

The food served in this place is truly mountainous. I'm usually quite a piggy when I eat out, but my mains defeated me - I can't recall what the name of it was, but there was a heaped plate fish (surely not a traditional Nepalese menu option), rice, veges, Chinese parsley or coriander or something, potatoes...I probably was only a third of the way through it before giving up.

The boy was happily reminiscing about England - specifically Swindon, don't ask me why - with the couple opposite us. He even managed to throw in a tidbit about his past life as a bad boy - something about driving through Paris in a TVR with a Dutch blonde...

It was a lovely evening (sigh).

2 comments:

Jon said...

I've had Nepalese food before, and I somehow doubt they eat fish there. Where would it com from? Also, with Tibetan food, many people who eat it at restaurants here rave about it, but I know lots of well travelled people who claim that both Nepalese food, as well as Mongolian is very different when authentic. Meaning, not so good, lots of goat, yak, and things boiled in horse milk.

Violet said...

I've talked to people to went to Kathmandu and all they ate was banana pancakes, pizza and chocolate cake...