Tuesday, December 21, 2004

My haircut

Never get an impromptu haircut, especially if:

1. you don't know for sure what you want
2. you're very trusting, and it's a new hairdresser
3. you've been drinking

I hadn't been drinking, but the first two points were certainly true for me this morning. For months now, my hair has been too long for my body size and shape; on hot days the extra head cover made me feel over-heated.

I'd been looking out for cheap presents for the library's Secret Santa thing, when I came across the Cut'n'Go hair salon. Now, I've been there once before and was very happy with the results that time - perhaps because I'd only asked for a trim of about an inch all around. This time around I asked for above-the-shoulder hair. Then I said I wanted a bob. Obviously the hairdresser had particular ideas about how short a bob should be. About three inches shorter than my idea.

Back at work, the feedback was mostly positive. I, however, thought she had gone too far. You could put me in a Mao suit and I'd look like I'd just got off the boat from China - about forty years ago. In fact, I distinctly recognise my haircut in a family photo from long ago; one in which a ten-year-old little girl had just had a classic Chinese bowl-cut. I expressed these fears to one of the librarians, and was a bit put out when she nodded in agreement. She wasn't supposed to do that.

Oh well, at least it'll grow out.

9 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

Cut'n'Go sounds too much like Cut'n'Run.
You could get it re-done and go pixie.

Tara said...

I know your pain!

Disregard the previous comment, do not get more cut off because it will just take even longer till you feel like yourself again. Trust me on this one.

Amanda said...

That communist Mao bowl cut look is VERY cool (I think)

Violet said...

Nigel and Tara - I will never get a pixie cut, because I don't have Audrey Hepburn's bone structure. It would just make me look more masculine, and that's not my thing.

Make Tea - the Mao look would no doubt look sexily intellectual on a non-Asian. It's comparable to the effect of a school-girl uniform on a model, as opposed to the same thing on a woman who actually looks like she could be a schoolgirl...

Jon said...

I've had my share of 'immigrant hair' as well! When I was little, the barber would always make it look like the only thing missing was the pointy rice farmer hat.

Violet said...

Jon, have you ever suffered the humiliation of having your hair permed? It happened to my brother when we were visiting Hong Kong back in the Seventies (he was about eleven). He looked so funny with curlers in his hair.

darth said...

i get my haircut every 5-6 days, so the difference between a good haircut and bad one is....about a week...

Violet said...

Wow, that's really often Darth. Is it because your hair grows really fast or because you often get bad haircuts?

darth said...

violet, i just like to wear it short...i guess it does grow pretty quickly..