Friday, December 03, 2004

I'm with yer boss

I'm going to the boy's work Christmas function tonight. It's a costume dress-up affair, and the boy can't wait to get his pirate costume. He's going as Captain Jack Sparrow, otherwise known as Johnny Depp - this is either because he wants an excuse to get really drunk ("I'm in character!"), or because he believes I have a crush on Johnny Depp (I don't - believe it or not, I just like his choice in movies).

Being a much less photogenic sort, I've declined the opportunity to pretend to be someone famous, tall and glamourous - I'm going as myself but more expensively-dressed than usual. Probably in trousers too.

In the boy's past work functions, I'd be talking to one of the staff and when I casually mentioned who my date was, that person would find an excuse to leave and mingle with someone else. Apparently it's because the boy is an extra-scary senior manager and no-one wants to be accused to trying to chat up his woman. Well, that's what he tells me anyway.

Last Christmas it was a barbeque the boy ate a bad sausage and missed the gastranomic delights of home-cooked festive meals for over two weeks. I hope he's more fortunate this year.

6 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

I love to dress up. I think the restaurant hired me because when I interviewed I was dressed as a waiter.
One year at the factory, I dressed up as every other guy and three people ( one a girl) were going to dress up as me but all wussed out.
n

Arthur Chaparyan said...

I believe you should go as the infamous Spongebob Squarepants. Yes yes, I really do.

MadMacca said...

Unrelated to your post, I saw your blog got name-checked in the 4/12 edition Dom Post along with Norightturn. Well done.

Violet said...

Nigel - it's certainly true that men like to dress up. There is that saying after all that "clothes maketh the man" - perhaps fancy dress maketh the sexuall-assured man?

MadMacca - Yes, I was so surprised I yelled out loud and my boy thought something really horrible had happened. I'm rapt :-)

Stacy - Yes, I'll certainly admit he's a very studly character (but not in front of my boy).

Arthur - Actually I suggested to the boy that I could go as Tatou (not sure about the spelling) from Fantasy Island, since he is also short and somewhat Asiatic-looking. He would have none of it.

Amanda said...

You are strong willed...I don't know many women who don't a slight crush on Johnny...

Well done on Dom Post thing. I think you could think about writing a book (though only if you want to, of course).

Violet said...

Make Tea - I've become fairly good at not getting crushes on men (even if they are movie stars), because the last thing I want is a jealous boyfriend who'll withhold back rubs at the slightest hint of disloyalty...

I have been working on writing my travel memoirs actually - but due to lack of real talent and time, this is never going to amount to anything :-)