Thursday, December 16, 2004

I'm outa here

I resigned today. That's the big news - I hope it was worth waiting for. (Were you shaking with anticipation, Darth?)

My last day is on January 14th, which means that I have two weeks and two days left to work at my current place (because of the time off I've booked over Christmas).

The new job:
The new job starts a week later, as an Information Officer. Not strictly a library job, I'll be spending my time maintaining their databases, making content changes to their website, doing the computer back-ups and helping with mail-outs of information material to branches all over the country.

The best parts of the new job are:
1) it's twenty hours a week, which means I can finish my MLIS sooner and still have free weekends (and I won't have to work weekends or evenings any more)
2) it's close to home so I can walk home from work in half an hour (and save about $30 in petrol money every week)
3) no more smelly people and messy children to be nice to

And the worst things about leaving the present job are:
1) no more blog posts about smelly patrons and messy children
2) feeling a little guilty about leaving because, due to Christmas and New Year coming right up, my employers have little time to get a replacement
3) knowing that my team mates will have to pick up the slack and take over the bus-driving duties

I was so relieved to finally be able to tell my boss - I'd accepted the job offer last week but we only had on paper and signed this morning - now I get to blab about this to everyone.

8 comments:

nichole said...

Congratulations!!

Watson Woodworth said...

Mozel Tov!
Anyone who values your work or your company will wish you well. I was sent off fondly by the ten and a half year job and then just as fondly by the two month job.
Hope the new one is everything you want.

Jon said...

Congrats on the new job! New career for a new year. Nice! :D

Tara said...

Wow, this is a suprise right? You hadn't mentioned this before?

In any case, congratulations. You have my complete and utter envy in getting to start something new.

Amanda said...

Excellent news...being able to walk to work is great especially on a nice day. Very energising.

darth said...

congratulations, violet!

fewer hours, free weekends & evenings, walking distance...sounds great!

noizy said...

woohooo! nice one. Information Officer sounds so ... authoritarian, really - like you're a dark-suited technocrat from Orwell's 1984 or something.

can I have your bus-driving job?

Violet said...

Thanks everyone. I'm certainly looking forward to having more free time and less driving time.

Tara - I could well have started blogging about my search for a new job months ago, but you never know reading it, eh?

Natalie - you sure can have my bus-driving job, although I can tell you now that this library can't afford to hire qualified librarians - which is why much of the interesting work is performed by us degree-d but unqualified library assistants.