Friday, September 24, 2004

Stress Management, if you can manage it

We were sent on a stress management course today. As soon as I sat down and said something to the woman next to me, I knew I was going to find her very annoying and irritating. Unfortunately I was completely right. She has a loud, high-pitched laugh and came across as a know-it-all. Mostly, it was because when I said I'd been told the course was very 'zen', I had to spend ten minutes explaining to her that it was a throwaway comment.

The facilitator was one of those women with soothing voices; maybe it's a prerequisite for a job like hers. Under her guidance, we spent an unnecessarily large proportion of our 2 1/2 hours on the basic stuff i.e. what stress it, what it's physiological symptoms are, and what everyone in the room has done to alleviate stress. Absolutely nothing new there. About fifteen minutes before our time was up, we got to leaf through our handout, which turned out to contained quite a lot of promising material about how to deal with stress in the workplace (as opposed to stress generally) - what a pity she didn't bother to go through it with us.

Well, if there is one thing I have learned from this course it's that at least one person in the world doesn't get stressed when she's stuck in traffic. She's obviously quite abnormal.

On a sadder note, when I got back to work I found out that our designated IT Help guy has cancer and the prognosis isn't good. Sure, I could never understand anything he said, and he had a habit of doing stuff to the network without telling anyone, but that isn't enough for a death sentence. Poor guy.

2 comments:

No Milk Please said...

i get stressed in traffic when i have to get somewhere and i am late or if nothing good is on the radio and i am stuck, stuck, stuck!!! grrrrrrr

Violet said...

Whereas the only time I DON'T get stressed in traffic is when I on the way to work, there isn't anything fun I have to do once I get there, my stereo's working and I have a good tape in the there...