Sunday, September 12, 2004

Absurdity as therapy

There's just something about really silly movies; never mind the lack of meaningful discourse or reflections on the human condition, just having a good childish laugh reminds me that it's nice to be alive, like almost nothing else.

From The Life of Brian to Flying High, The Man with Two Brains to Zoolander; if it makes me snort with mirth then a copy of it on DVD is welcome in my house.

I am going somewhere with this.

We hadn't been to the movies in a couple of months, and I was keen to catch up on some films which I'd heard about but hadn't gotten around to seeing. Touching the Void, Supersize Me and Fahrenheit 9/11 are still on my list of must-sees. But the movie we decided to go to today was...Dodgeball. I can't help it - Ben Stiller makes me laugh. It was a totally predictable plot, but Stiller playing super-vain owner of an exclusive gym/cosmetic surgery clinic was really pretty fab (check out his clingy lycra one-piece with inflatable cod-piece). Guest appearances by Chuck Norris, William Shatner and Lance Armstong were a bonus.

Watching Dodgeball lifted my mood and made me grin and chortle; I'll even blame it for making me giggle at the sign in the cake shop which read Dutch Custard Ring (well it sounded like a sex toy to me).

2 comments:

DaisyBoo Blacksheep said...

Still trying to (con)vince my boyfriend to go see that one with me... :(. He's allergic to Ben Stiller...

Violet said...

Well get some friends together and go see it with them instead. I don't get to see many arthouse films nowadays due to my boyfriend's preference for movies based on comics and graphic novels. So the fact that we both like Ben Stiller is really quite a bonus.